Wednesday 25 April 2012

My knitting and crochet heroes



I started crocheting about two and a half years ago, mainly inspired by a friend who makes the most amazing amigurumi people and animals.  I bought myself a 'learn to crochet' magazine with free hook and yarn, and got stuck in.

Once I got over the initial 'fingers and thumbs' stage of just trying to hold the yarn, I was totally obsessed.  My friend then pointed me in the direction of Ravelry, and the rest, as they say, is history!


My knitting started a little earlier and there was plenty of inspiration to be had in the family.  My Gran is a fantastic knitter and growing up I wore lots of homemade jumpers with fairisle, cables and TV characters of the time....(but maybe not all  in the same jumper....can you imagine!)

My Mum has also knitted from a young age, and whenever I do attempt to knit, she is a phone call away to come over and pick up all my dropped stitches....I am amazed at her ability to go down row by row and pick up a stitch, where I would sit and cry and then rip it all out!




These people have all been a great influence in my starting out, but my break in crochet and more recently in knitting has most definitely come from Bloggyland!

I'm not quite sure why I started blogging.....but I am so glad I did!



Blogging and being part of the blogging community has challenged me, taught me, allowed me to see my progression and ultimately improved me!

A comment left after a post, gives the answer to a dilemma, a tip on a better way to do something, a pattern that I might like....

Other bloggers posts have sparked my creativity, encouraged me to try something new or pushed me harder.

A chance 'Go on, you know you want to' is sometimes just the thing you need, to sign up for something you may not have otherwise.

In my case this is certainly true when I joined in with Ravelry's Year of Projects.......I can't believe how many things I have made in the last year....and all for a passing 'why not?'



So with a big huge cheesy smile and big squashy cuddle, I say a huge THANK YOU!  You're all a jolly clever old lot. ......yes, I'm talking to you too!  Without your encouragement, giggles, timely advice, inspiration.......I would be a  rubbish, bored, lonely welsh girl sitting here typing to myself whilst crying into my cup of tea.......instead....well, I'm pretty much tickled pink, starry eyed, pleased as punch and sparkly that I've got to here......where will I go next?

This post is part of the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week.


3KCBWDAY3


And the brioche?



I've had a day of ripping back.....hhhmmm....maybe tomorrow when my my brain is more on the job!

And if you were to choose....would it be a Tea Cosy (Mrs. Micawber you are absolutely right!) or one of those dressed up Barbie dolls that looks after your loo roll?

12 comments:

  1. Great post Faith, I love hearing about how people learnt how to knit and/or crochet, it always makes me happy to hear about these skills being passed down the generations x I am fortunate enough to have the most amazing mum who taught me how to knit and crochet. I too love the blogging community, it's been such an inspiration to me and continues to keep me encouraged as time goes on. I love that we get to meet great people like you too! xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big cheesy hug right back at you!!!! Oh and the brioche is really appealing to me....mmmmm. Maybe a new challenge is on the horizon! You inspire me :-D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lovely to hear about how and why you started with the knitty-knotty of crochet and knitting. You have reqlly achieved a HUGE amount. And I think your creations are very clever - I thought you'd been doing all this for ages!!
    Great post, thanks!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just started following you and several other bloggers who have such color that I love! I knit but not nearly as much or as comfortable with as crochet. Your children are just the cutest!
    I love that blanket with the bumps! Is that crocheted? I want to make one! LOL! I'm on Ravelry too but haven't joined any groups...maybe I should? Any suggestions as to which? I'm a novice knitter and ad a pretty good crocheter but I've never made clothes in either.
    I feel just like you about the blogging community! You're all wonderfully inspiring and motivating! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Faith...what a lovely post... so nice to know that you love bloggyland as much as I do and that you get as much from it too... You have done so well to be crocheting brilliantly and inspiring us all to do the same in such a short time...AND you knit on those long needle thingys! I love the multi-colour yarn on top of the plain blue in your brioche.. and as for your last question... what about a tea-cosy with a Barbie doll on top? Ha ha... Hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the brioche! What a cool post. I feel the same way about the blogging community and year of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post, Faith. I feel the same about blogging - the days just fly by now, and I'm always looking forward to the next post, and to hearing what all my friends have to say for themselves!

    And that wool for your brioche - just gorgeous. Personally I'm all for the tea cosy. Loo roll covers - well, I won't say what I think of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Faith, you are inspirational to many of us too :) Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with you about the blogging community, the support is amazing. Especially as none of my non blogging friends are into anything crafty, it's so great to have a place to ask advice and to bounce ideas off people!!
    A tea cozy would be fab in those colours!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you say here is so true - it's the most amazing community of like-minded souls and to be part of it is such a delight. Love your brioche knitting - what a lovely idea to have a project that develops over this week. E x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually you are MY knit/crochet hero. :) Your grandmother actually knitted TV characters? How cool is that? I'm with Mrs. Micawber on the tea cosy. :) Besides, T'ain't no loo in the barn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post!!! lol xxx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, and I won't be asking you to jump through hoops (or fill in a captcha) to do it.............